Monday, March 27, 2006

My faith in the basic goodness of people has been restored.
Saturday March 25th about 10:00 am. I parked my car under Highway 55 and got ready to start my 10-mile run. My headphones aren’t working because my batteries were dead. This really stinks because my run is going to be 1 hour and 40 minutes long. I see a Gas station at Union Rd. and Green Park Rd. and I have $10 so I think I am saved!!! I jog over to the store and it turns out to be a true old fashion full service filling station. Meaning they had oil, car batteries, windshield wipers and all kinds of fluids for your car but no candy, soda, gum and certainly no AA batteries. I ask anyway, just incase I don’t see them (while I am thinking about stores like QT and 711 where you can buy groceries, medicine even baby food). Bob tells me he is sorry but they don’t have batteries. I guess I looked as bummed out as I felt because Bob asked how many I needed and went in the back and came out with one AA battery for me. It could have been from the break room TV remote for all I know. I tried to pay him for the battery but he said not to worry about it. It is so rare that a total stranger does something nice for you. I had my best run ever after that. I sat down this morning and wrote him a letter to thank him for the battery and the wonderful service. I just wanted to pass along something positive after my last negative post.
Have a wonderful day and do something nice for a stranger today, they will remember it for a long time.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Bob...what a guy! And by the way, nice time on that run. You're a machine!

msrstl said...

You are such a good person...your heart is always in the right place!